Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Welcome to Door County


After our recent stop in Green Bay, we drove on up to Door County to spend the night.  Favored as a vacation getaway for much of Wisconsin, it is essentially like large thumb jutting up in to Lake Michigan.  We stayed at a quaint little place in Sister Bay called "The Village View Inn."  Small, but comfy, with lots of friendly people.  Our little cottage backed up to a pretty flower and tree covered bluff.

Dotted with pretty little port towns along both shore lines (Lake Michigan and Green Bay) Door County is also known for it's delicious tart cherries.  The Montmorency variety is the most popular and plentiful, but they also grow other red and yellow sweet varieties.  We tasted quite a few delicious samples and also bought several quarts to take home from the small roadside stands that line the highways. Sadly, I didn't take any photos of that. Next year!

5 comments:

Tamera said...

But did you buy some pasties too?

I was born just across the water from there, Marinette County, but have never been to Door County. It's a sin! Your pictures make me want to go. It looks like you really enjoyed your time there. Such a pretty place :^)

MJ said...

Ah, yes. Pasties! I usually think more of the UP (Yoopers!) when I hear about those. (For those who don't know, they are delicious little meat & potato pies that used to be packed for the miner's lunches. A Welsh tradition I believe?) But Door County has them, too. Marinette County is beautiful as well.

Kate said...

Delighted to see this wonderful series of photos. I was born in Door County and grew up in Green Bay. I have spent many happy days there and now since I live in Minnesota, I still vacation regularly on the County, normally vacationing on Washington Island. Our grandson's first vacation at 6 months was in Sister Bay.
Love that area!!!

Lowell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lowell said...

Sorry, I screwed up my first comment.

This is such a gorgeous area. I would love to spend a couple weeks in that little cottage. This area reminds me a lot of the Lake Vermilion area in northern Minnesota.