Friday, July 26, 2013

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant

Another institution in Sister Bay is Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant (the double-door shown is the entrance). An old-style family restaurant that is best known for their Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, they also offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a wide variety of menu items. One of the main attractions is the building's quaint grass thatched roof which occasionally has goats grazing on the top!  Legend has it that each morning at the goat farm, they open the flat-bed transport truck by the goat barn, and any interested goats who wander up the ramp are taken to the roof for that day.  They are never forced - so if no goats show an interest, there are no goats on the roof that day.  Unfortunately - that was the case for us the day of our visit. Be sure to watch the entertaining little video on their website that gives the history of the place!

4 comments:

Randy said...

Nice looking place. Thank you for your comment on my blog.

Lowell said...

Yah, shure, I tank I like this here place a lot, you betcha!

Both of my parents spoke Swedish. But they never tried to teach me. I'm sure it was because they wanted to communicate without my knowing what was being said! :)

I know I'd like Al Johnson's place. One of my grandfathers was Carl (Charley) Johnson who originally ran a livery in northern Minnesota.

MJ said...

Lowell: I'm sure you would fit right in up there... all those Johnsons must be related somehow! ;-)

Kate said...

The goats must have been hiding because they usually are there bright and early each day.