Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Peace on Google Earth


[For the record, the two images in this post are taken from Google Maps to illustrate a point.]

For Memorial Day I am planning to drive up to where my grandparents are buried in rural western Wisconsin to plant flowers around their graves - just as my mother always did. While reviewing Google Maps for directions, I noticed an interesting oddity.  The map above shows the general area of where the church is located (B), in Vernon County, which is about 25 miles southeast of La Crosse.  But as I zoomed in closer to follow the exact route to take, I noticed this:


A peace sign is etched into the grassy field just to the right of the church cemetery!

Certain pockets of rural Vernon County used to be frequented by the hippies of the 60s and 70s, and so this could be a throw-back to those days. But now there is a growing and respectable progressive culture, with a very active co-op scene in Viroqua and the excellent Westby Creamery. In any event, this certainly seems like a "wink-and-a-nod" from someone, since it is obviously meant to be seen from the sky.

2 comments:

Lowell said...

Fascinating. What a great find. Let us know if you discover additional facts about this!

Judy said...

What a great discovery! I love the title of this post. It's perfect. I hope to hear more about this place soon.