Monday, May 14, 2012

Go Forward

A few weeks ago I attended a fundraiser in La Crosse for an amazing young man named Casey Davis.  His mother, Nancy, is one of my good friends from childhood.  Casey and his equally amazing wife Carolyn, are shown above.  His story is one of courage and determination that few of us could manage to achieve. Injured in a forestry accident, he suffered great injury and pain, resulting in the paralysis of both legs.  However, from what I witnessed at the event, it is not going to stop him from setting and attaining lofty goals in his young life.  I think the kids receiving wheelchair rides while others raced to catch up with him could attest to that fact!

When I first heard Casey's story, I recalled that a half-dozen years earlier - after the untimely death of Christopher Reeve's wife, Dana - I had donated to the Christopher Reeve Foundation.  One of the perks I received was a cool "Superman" dog-tag necklace.  I thought it was time to give it a new home with Casey - someone who possesses the true spirit and determination of a Superman! (He's wearing it, above.)

1 comment:

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

What an awesome gift to a brave young man!! I don't think you could've given him anything better. God bless you for your kindness. : )

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/