Friday, April 27, 2012

Remembrance


With all the hectic things happening in my life these past few months, including the loss of my beloved mother of 95 years back in February, it's been a while since I've had a chance to post. In reviewing a few images from the past I've selected this one to post in her memory.  It was taken by my father, Oscar, back in the 1940's. He was a professional portrait and landscape photographer in the La Crosse, Wisconsin area during the mid-20th century. He learned the trade from his grandfather, Ole E. Flaten, who was quite a photographic pioneer in the Moorhead/Fargo area back in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

You can't tell from the B&W image, but Orvie had dark red auburn hair and aqua green eyes. Note that she is wearing white gloves - very popular with the ladies back in those days. I absolutely love that hat and the sparkle in her eyes, which she had until the end.

Now, in this new spring, I look forward to gardening again, which was one of her passions.  We cherish the memories of the past, but look forward to the promises of the future.

4 comments:

Lowell said...

When I saw the thumbnail, I thought it was the movie actress, Rita Hayworth. Your mother looked much like her. So sorry to hear about your loss. Even though your mother lived a long life, it's never easy to lose a loved one.

MJ said...

Thanks so much for your kind words.

Judy said...

What a beautiful woman. Sorry for your loss. I have found that going through all the wonderful photos is a big help in bringing back those great memories that I cherish.

MJ said...

Thanks, Judy. So true... the time spent sorting through pictures brought back many tears and healing laughter as well.