Monday, July 27, 2009

Slowly But Surely Wins the Race


This very large (snapping?) turtle was attempting to cross the road at the entrance to our subdivision last week. I saw him from a distance while riding my bike and at first thought it was a big hunk of a blown tire. When I came up to him, I expected him to "hide" in his shell, but he just looked up at me and blinked.

Just then a father and his two young kids came up on their bikes. After a brief talk about how he could easily get squashed in the road, "Dad" picked up "Tommy the Turtle" - as the kids had quickly named him - and set him on the grass. "Heavy sucker!"


He didn't really move & we didn't stick around - but later that afternoon, I drove by there and Tommy was no where to be seen. Hopefully, he made his way back down to the marsh which borders our neighborhood.

2 comments:

Lowell said...

We've done before, too. I don't know if he's a snapper or not...you've got to be a little careful around them, but if you pick 'em up by the shell you should be all right.

Deedledeedee said...

I have friends who have a tortoise and then one day another one just showed up to stay. Like where did that one come from? How long did it take it to get there?